A significant event in the past year
Today in class we talked about significant events in our lives. What was an important event that happened in the past year (2011)? It can be something related to your life, your neighborhood, your country, or the world. Why was that event significant?
I think maybe the most significant event in my life this past year was beginning my graduate school courses. I wanted to study for a long time, so I was very excited to finally begin. I had to get used to a new daily routine, but these days I'm used to my new (busy) schedule.
ReplyDeleteOne significant event in the world was the tsunami and nuclear accidents in Japan last year. So many people lost their lives and their homes, and radiation poisoned the soil and water. I was sorry to hear so many terrible stories. I'm really glad that there are no major earthquakes here in Korea. It must be terrifying.
I quit my job 'perfectly' Last year. I'd worked in full time or part time job from graduation until the year before last year. I was extremely happy about that I can take a rest, have more time with my family and do plenty of things interesting.
ReplyDeleteThe most significant event past year was the trip to eastern Europe with my son for 2 weeks. I made reservations for all of the hotels, 6 flights, 2 buses, and some performance. I was enthusiastic but a little nervous because I had to do everything by myself and take care of my son. The trip was wonderful. The weather was fantastic, those countries were very beautiful, and we had many good experiences.
I felt we both grew up through it.
I also thought that the tsunami and nuclear accidents in Fukushima was a significant event. Because of that, one of my friend moved to Seoul from Tokyo with her son. She quit her job and gave up everything in Tokyo. But her husband still live Tokyo for his job. They're suffering a trouble these days. Besides, I'm worried about the radiation-poisoned food. It can take effect to the people slowly and fatally.
I'm going to Seoul this afternoon with my husband because we have to attend a seminar tomorrow. We will go to a great Japanese restaurant for our early wedding anniversary party. My husband made a reservation to hotel and the restaurant. I hope this evening would be one of the most significant event in my life.
Have a nice weekend. :)
Lily,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are enjoying your new life as a stay-at-home mother. That's great.
I wonder also where you went in Eastern Europe. I went there in 1997 and visited Poland (Krakow and Warsaw), The Czech Republic (Prague), and Hungary (Budapest, and some small villages in the wine region in the west). It was a wonderful time for me too.
Enjoy your anniversary party. Congratulations!
I think maybe the significant event in my life this past year was nothing.
ReplyDeleteActually I have a similar routine for several years.
I think the most significant event in Korea was independence from Japan.
Today is on April 13.
It's the 93th anniversary of establishment of a Korean provisonal government.
That is a basic organization of Korean independence.
That is the provisonal government that is persisted during the longest time in the history.
I've been a Korean provisonal government in Shanghai.
I had a deep impression at there because there was so small and miserable.
Our forefathers fought against Japan though tons of tragic conditions.
They scarificed themselves to Korean independence and in the end we gained our independence.
I sincerely respect all fighters for national independence.
I also went in Eastern Europe and visited Poland,
When I went to Auschwitz, it was very bright and clear.
So, the camp conditions looked to be more tragic in contrast with the weather.
Someone says Auschwitz is a horrible place because there are a lot of chagrined ghosts. And they blame every evil deed on a Nazi.
I also thought so before I went there.
But I didn't think so any more at there.
Auschwitz was the saddest and most shameful place in the world.
So I thought we have to reflet that though history.
Because we always talk about peace but we have voilence and brutality inside.
I'm sorry because my writing is so heavy.
DeleteRegina,
DeleteI also enjoy visiting historical places. I visited Auschwitz in 1997 and my feelings about it were like yours. It's terrible to think about what happened there, but unfortunately, I agree with you that it's necessary to remind ourselves about it so we can try to avoid such a disaster in the future.
In Poland, I also visited Oscar Schindler's factory. Did you see the movie "Schindler's List"? His factory is still there. After visiting Auschwitz, visiting that factory made me feel a little better, maybe because it reminded me that humans are also courageous and righteous sometimes.
I watched the movie, "Schindler's List"
DeleteI don't like a war movie.
But I had a deep impression with the movie because that was a movie about love of mankind.
Oscar Schindler is such a courageous and righteous person, I completely agree with you, and I think he is a true hero.
There is a sentence in Korean poem.
"Humans are more beautiful than Flowers"
The most significant event in my life of 2011years went with my dream to America.I was beginning to study English at language school on the spring course in Illinois university. I had to check a test. After result I even was difficult to find my class through it's schedule. If I ask for anything , I was what words can not listen. I had to make so ID card for myself that begin to write as a memo.I needed too much a rest and sleeping during studying. I was satisfied with the classes and young friends and activities.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a great experience. How long did you stay in the U.S.? Was it difficult to adjust to living in another country?
Delete