What is everybody doing this weekend?
Right now I'm reading, studying, and surfing the internet a little. As you may know, I'm taking graduate school courses these days, so I'm reading and writing a lot every day.
This evening I'm meeting my wife for dinner. I don't know where we're going. Maybe some place near Kyungsung or Haeundae.
Tomorrow, I'm recording a song for my friend's radio show on Busan e-fm 90.5. (I'll tell you more about that on Monday). Tomorrow night, I'm having dinner with some friends and going to a show near Kyungsung university. A lot of local bands are playing a special show to say farewell to two popular performers who have lived in Busan for a few years. Click here for information about them if you are interested.
What are you doing this weekend?
*Bonus question: You know that we can use the present progressive tense (be + VERB + ing) to talk about actions that are happening now. However, in my post, I used the present progressive tense in 3 different ways. How am I using it? Are those actions all happening right now? When are they happening?
ReplyDeleteHi John, I got it. First. it is present progressive tense. Second. it is coming soon future.Third. it is planning future.
DeleteRightnow:Only you're reading,studying,surfing,taking
This evening: you're meeting your wife
Tomorrow :you're recording a song,you're having dinner going to a show
I'm waiting for my husband with my daughter. I prepared rice, Kimch tofu soup, grilled fish, and salad for dinner. My son went to the school trip in Kyounju. My daughter is reading book about duck's feather.
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I are going to a concert, called Baram(it means wish or wind... I'm not sure.) concert tomorrow evening. Some musicians such as YB, Hot Potato.. and a comedian, Kim Jedong are making performance in Shilla university. My friend invited us. I'm eagerly anticipating it.
I sometimes listen to Busan e-fm while driving. I want to listen your song on radio. It sounds amazing. Besides, I'm interested in the special show and curious about who are the popular performer. I should click that. :)
* You're using the present progressive tense to talk about not only what is happening now, also what is happening in the foreseeable future in your post... right? :)
Lily,
DeleteYour dinner sounds delicious and healthy. Also, that concert sounds like fun.
The song is a kind of comedy song about common questions people ask foreigners in Korea. I don't know if it's very funny, but my friend likes it, so we will record it and he will use it on his show.
You are right about how I used the present progressive tense: I used it to talk about 1) things I am doing at this moment, and 2) things I will do in the near future. There is also one more way I used it. Can you see what it is?
John,
DeleteBaram concert was great!! It made me feel young.
As you said what the song is about, I'm more curious about it than before. It seems like funny.
I left out one thing.. but I didn't know that.
3) You used the present progressive tense to talk about you are doing these days.. for example : I'm taking a swimming lesson these days. right?
(Actually, after I refered to your reply for Shiny, I realized it.)
Thank you.. See you tomorrow!!
I'm watching TV, reading a book and surfing the internet now.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm waiting my husband who arrived at Busan today afternoon from China.
But, he is going to be late because he has to attend three meetings.
On Sunday, I'm having my brother's birthday party.
I'm making birthday cake for him and preparing some cosmetics for his present.
By the way, John, I didn't know that you were taking graduate school. What's your major? I heard you had majored in History at university.
I majored in Mathematics at university, education administration at graduate school. But, I didn't write a master's thesis, so I couldn't get a master's degree yet. I just completed the course. Because I had a job at that time, it was very difficult to do both studying and working well. Too much time had passed, I almost gave up the master's thesis.
And, I want to hear your song in radio, too! Please let us know the time and date when you are on radio.
Bonus Answer : I don't know well and I'm not sure but I think..
① I'm reading, studying, and surfing the internet a little - doing right now!
② I'm taking graduate school courses these days, so I'm reading and writing a lot every day. - you did, and you do, and maybe you will do continually..
③ Tomorrow, I'm recording a song - you will do predictive things near future
I'm afraid I'm wrong. It's difficult.
Shiny,
DeleteYou're right: I majored in history at university. These days, I'm studying for a master's degree in applied linguistics from the University of Massachusetts, Boston. I'm really enjoying it, and I'm learning a lot, but during the semester I'm sooo busy. I will graduate next spring.
Do you think you will finish your master's degree?
I will let you know when the song will be on the radio. Right now I'm not sure.
Also, you almost got the answer to the bonus question exactly. We can use the present progressive tense to talk about:
1) things that we are doing right now. For example, "Right now I'm reading, studying, and surfing the internet"
2) things that we are doing these days, but maybe not exactly at this moment. For example: " I'm taking graduate school courses (these days)"
3) things we will do in the near future. For example "This evening I'm meeting my wife for dinner."
It was a hard question, but you got it. Excellent! I asked that question because we will practice this next week, so I wanted to give you a preview of next week's classes.
I'm going to my parents-in-law's house on Sunday.
ReplyDeleteBecause they are so old, over ninety, and live in Namchundong where it's close to my house and my husband is their only one son.
We are going to catholic church together in the morning.
I'm having lunch and dinner with them so I'm staying there until midnight.
I'm also having a chat with them because they like taiking with me more than talking with their spouse.^^
I do that every Sunday.
Jhon,
I use the present progressive tense in this writting according to the sentences that you show but I know that I must use the present tense when I express habitual action.
Is it right?
That sounds nice. Please check my reply to Shiny for the correct answer to the question.
DeleteI was hurry up morning early and I had to find where my friend came out of exit #1 in daeyeon station. By the way I went pass her right, We rarely have seen about 10 years each other. After 30 minutes I met her at wedding ceremony hall in Bukyung university. She was sad me that she loses memories why it is shrinking anything in brain. on Sunday I visited to Geojedo. I bought sea foods and sea squirts. I drove through Geojedo bridge. when I drove in the tunnel under the sea I was scared for a moment. As if I seem like to flat on the sea.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a very nice weekend. I've never taken the tunnel to Geojaedo. I heard it's very long. I've been to Geojaedo two or three times. It's a lovely place. Do you go there often?
DeleteI tried to do my homework in the train by i-phone many times.
ReplyDeletewhenever I wrote two or three sentences, my phone didn't work.
And then I forgot my comment.
Last friday afternoon I stayed in seoul. It was drizzling.
the next day I was overcast and windy. So cold. I wore a little thick sweater. I regreted I didn't check the weather prediction.
C U soon!!!
It sounds like you had a tough weekend. It's surprising how different the weather is in Seoul and Busan. I hope you enjoyed spending time with your family.
Delete